Claiming the Income Tax Child Credit

File taxes online

Good news for parents!

This year the Child tax credit is now available. With the Child Tax Credit, you may be able to reduce the federal income tax you owe by up to $1,000 for each qualifying child under the age of 17.

What are the criteria for a child to qualify for child credit?

• Age – Was under age 17 at the end of 2007
• Relationship – Is your son, daughter, adopted child, stepchild or eligible foster child, brother, sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or a descendant of any of these individuals
• Citizenship – Is a U.S. citizen, U.S. national or resident of the U.S.
• Support – Did not provide over half of his or her own support, and
• Lived with you – Must have lived with you for more than half of 2007 (note that some exceptions to this criteria exist)

The credit is limited if your modified adjusted gross income is above a certain amount. The amount at which this phase-out begins varies depending on your filing status:

• Married Filing Jointly $110,000
• Married Filing Separately $ 55,000
• All others $ 75,000

In addition, the Child Tax Credit is generally limited by the amount of the income tax you owe as well as any alternative minimum tax you owe.

You may also be able to claim an “Additional” Child Tax Credit. The Additional Child Tax Credit may give you a refund even if you do not owe any tax. For 2007, the total amount of the Child Tax Credit and any Additional Child Tax Credit cannot exceed the maximum of $1,000 for each qualifying child.

You may claim the Child Tax Credit on Form 1040 or 1040A.

Download Form 1040 here:

Download Guide to Child Tax Credit

Download Claim form for Additional Child Income Tax Credit


child 2006 tax credit
child credit tax worksheet
child tax credit federal
estate real tax
income tax child credit
number tax
tax form child credit


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: